Lynne Fox's Profile
UC Denver Health Sciences Library
12950 E. Montview Blvd., Campus Box A003
Aurora, CO 80045
Purpose of this Resource Guide
The core skills of evidence based practice include the ability to acquire high quality information for critical appraisal.
This guide addresses how to best plan for and find this high quality evidence for clinical decision making.
Where should you start in this tutorial?
- Would you like to pick up tips gathered by librarians who search for evidence based information? Start with the "basic tips" or "more tips" sections from the Introduction tab
- Do you search PubMed? View Using Article Type Filters and Clinical Queries for Evidence Based Searching first.
- Do you need systematic reviews, evidence based technology assessments or economic evaluation from Cochrane? Start with the tutorials and view the segments of the tutorial that interest you.
- Do you need a Practice Guideline? Use PubMed or Dynamed and view the tutorials Searching for Guidelines in PubMed or Finding Guidelines in Dynamed
Don't have time to watch the tutorials? Just need a quick resource designed to direct you to evidence in a variety of sources?
- TRIP is a one stop resource for filtering high quality evidence based research, including:
- access full text links from the Health Sciences Library, for logged in users (click settings to configure)
- powerful search filtering tools (including a PICO search interface)
- results from a variety of high quality producers of evidence based information (such as the Cochrane Collaboration),
- rollover preview of individual results,
- login through Facebook or Twitter,
- tracking and favorites options for logged in users
- sharing results through Facebook or Twitter.
Instructions for using this tutorial
The tutorial includes the following tabs. Be sure to scroll down through each part to ensure that you view all the available content,
Introduction | Ovid MEDLINE | PubMed | CINAHL | Cochrane Library | Guidelines | Critical Appraisal
For best viewing
- close any special toolbars (such as Google or Yahoo
- maximize your browser window to full screen
- change the monitor resolution to a higher setting if the slides do not fit your screen
To enhance learning consider opening two browser windows and pausing the tutorial to practice the searching concepts suggested in the tutorials. Click the rewind button if you want to back up to repeat a slide.
Tutorials require the Adobe Flash Player. The video player includes the following control buttons: